Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Preview of Minnesota Game

Ahallrighty, folks. We come to the big one, what Dantonio calls a "program" game. Lose, and this season can be declared an unmitigated disaster. Lose, and we can comfortably declare this the kind of season that can cause much damage to what has been built in the last few years.  Win, and then win again in the bowl game, and this season can still be perceived as something slightly less than reasonable. Especially if MSU can finally play 2 complete games. I'm talking about a dominating defensive performance, coupled with competent offensive and special teams performances.

Unfulfilled weekly predictions of MSU victory have exhausted me, but this will the last one for a while, so here goes. MSU's D should be able to keep Minnesota's O under 13 points. Nay, Minnesota is scoring 22.4 points a game, so the Spartan D should actually be able to hold them under 10 points.

I have had a chance to calm down about the last game, so I can objectively say that the MSU offense is on the brink of putting it together. If not for the turnovers, last week, this team would have had the offensive explosion I predicted for them. Dare I, then, predict an explosion this week? Well, I'm relatively confident that they will move the ball very well. The o-line is looking better and better, Bell should have a good game, Dion Sims is back.  Maxwell and the receivers are not quite where you want them to be, but they're OK.

But, will they be able finish drives? I've been burned so many times this year than I'm now a little superstitious against predicting an offensive explosion. But at least on paper it looks like they will be able to finish drives and score quite a few points. I guess I'll go with that.

Final score: MSU 27  Minn 10

No comments:

Post a Comment