Sunday, December 30, 2012

Thoughts on TCU Game

I don't have much time to blog these days, but here are some brief thoughts on the BWW Bowl:

- The defense remains solid. If I had any frustrations, it's that they weren't perfect. But you just can't ask for more than what they gave.

- The offense showed some positive things, but overall, I'm worried about next year's offense.  A month of practice did not seem to lead to much improvement. Granted, they were playing a good defense. But the Spartan O is way too dependent on one star player, Le'Veon Bell, who may be leaving early for the NFL. The offensive futility was worrisome enough that I almost think there needs to be a "culture change." I'm practically talking about bringing in a new OC that can redirect the ship. Maybe the shift to more mobile quarterbacks will be enough. But right now I think it's safe to worry about next year's offense.

- I want Andrew Maxwell to succeed, I like the kid, but it looks like he will be fighting for his job next year. These days, you gotta be able to run as a quarterback. Connor Cook is no RGIII, but you could see that his mobility was making a difference. I really hope Maxwell will work on his speed over the coming months (you'd be surprised how much of a difference it can make to do a lot of sprinting and agility work), and I hope he makes a lot of progress in some other areas.

- The receivers are practically back to where they were at the start of the season. Too many drops. Some guys are going to have to step up.


No comments:

Post a Comment