Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Recruitig 2014: Jalen Watts-Jackson

The Spartans have picked up their second recruit in a week, heck, their second cornerback in a week.  Jalen Watts-Jackson (JWJ) committed just a few days after earning an offer based on his performances at recent camps.  JWJ has the size the coaches like for a cornerback (6' and 180 lbs.) and apparently the speed (he recently ran the 40 in under 4.45 seconds).  But at this point he is the lowest rated recruit of the 2014 class (according to 247's composite score).  Let's look at some video.

OK, so there's no easily embed-able video, but you can find some here.  If I'm honest with myself, I have to say that JWJ does not look all that athletic in his video.  In particular, I don't see the 4.4 speed.  On the other hand, we're talking about young guys here, so it would not surprise me if he has made a significant leap in athleticism from the end of his junior year to the time of the camps. I do also see him making some nice plays on the ball, and since he also plays wide receiver, he looks like he has some decent hands.  

Most importantly, he appears to have impressed the coaches with his speed and intelligence, and that's good enough for me, at this point. Nonetheless, I'll certainly be checking out his senior highlights as soon as they become available, and I'll update this post accordingly.  

No comments:

Post a Comment