Friday, September 13, 2013

Preview of YSU Game

Some things I hope to see / not see:

- The Spartans need to settle on a quarterback (perhaps 2 quarterbacks) by the end of this game. So Connor Cook has to show that he is progressing. To me, he did not look like he improved much from week 1 to week 2. If he is going to continue to get opportunities, he has to start showing that he's making significant progress. His biggest problem right now is accuracy. He is creating well enough with his feet, but then missing wide open receivers. That lack of accuracy is costing the offense in terms of explosive plays, and is forcing the Spartans to go on drives that require them to execute a lot of plays -- not a good situation when your offense is struggling.

- So far, I've been impressed with the performances of Jeremy Langford and Nick Hill. I think they have the talent to be ranked among the B10's best backs -- if they could get more support from the rest of the offense.  In this game, I hope to see that I'm right about that, so I hope to see them continue to make significant progress, and I hope that at least the offensive line shows a little more life. I've been disappointed with Riley Bullough, up to this point. Perhaps he hasn't received enough opportunities, but I'm hoping to see more out of him this week.

- What can I say about the receivers? Hoping that they emerge is like hoping every day was Christmas. If they're not going to run good routes or catch the ball, I hope they at least show improvement in blocking.

- The offensive line has to start playing better. At least the o-line has more talent and experience than last year, but they are taking far too long gel. If they look lost again this week, be prepared to feel embarrassed during the Notre Dame game.

- The special teams unit needs to show that last week was a fluke. If not, if they make critical mistakes again, then we are looking at almost an exact replica of last season, where the defense was really the only competent unit on this team.

- Throughout the rest of the season, I'm going to keep an eye out for offensive coordinators that MSU should try to poach for next year. YSU put up 718 yards of offense last week, so they may have an OC the Spartans should keep an eye on. But YSU was playing a weak team last week, so we'll have to see what their OC can do against MSU's defense. If YSU's offense scores at least 3 touchdowns, then that's our guy!

Final Score: MSU 24  YSU 14

No comments:

Post a Comment