Tuesday, September 3, 2013

What Can be Done?

As most in Spartan nation, I've been dwelling on the WMU game, panicking quite a bit about how the offensive futility could waste another championship defensive performance. I can't figure out what is happening. Why do the receivers look so bad? Why is the offensive line struggling? Is it the coaching? That's what I'm leaning towards. But wasn't Bollman supposed to make a difference with the o-line?

I'll say this, if the receivers and o-line don't improve quickly, then Maxwell and Cook do not appear to be the answer at quarterback. I still believe that Maxwell would be a decent quarterback, if he was in a system where all the parts are working. But he is not enough of a creator on his own to overcome the deficiencies in the rest of the offense - except perhaps when the Spartans are running the hurry-up offense (maybe that's the answer). Cook has the mobility to create more, but he does not have the accuracy. Maybe he could develop it over the course of a whole season, but we can't know that for certain.

So the question is whether one of the younger quarterbacks can create enough with their feet and arm. I'm certain O'Connor and Terry are faster than Maxwell and Cook, so they probably can do the running to create, but what about the passing? If they are not more accurate than Cook, then you basically have 2 more Connor Cooks. If they have shown accuracy, then I think they probably need to be given a shot. Something big needs to happen.

The bottom line, for me, is that you don't see this level of offensive futility even in most MAC schools. So I think there is something wrong with the offensive coaching staff - I hope the next game proves me wrong, but I doubt it. Unfortunately, it's too late to go out and hire new offensive coaches, so Dantonio is going to have work with what he has. The Spartans cannot waste another championship defense, so drastic measures are necessary. So if the young quarterbacks do create more, then they have to play, even if it has to be Terry.

I really really hope we're all just freaking out over nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment