Friday, January 6, 2012

NFL Calling Spartans

It looks like the NFL is not finished attracting Spartans.  Of course, several seniors are going, and we found out yesterday that Jerel Worthy is going.  And today we find out that Edwin Baker will be trying his luck in the draft.  Since the Spartans are loaded at running back, I don't think Baker's departure will hurt the Spartans much.  But I don't think it's such a good move for Baker, himself.

It's possible that Baker received good feedback from NFL talent folk, it's possible that he thinks he could perform well at the NFL combines, or it's possible that he's not happy about his diminished role (now that LeVeon Bell has emerged).  Whatever the reason, I think he's taking a risk in leaving early, particularly because I think he would've had a big year next year and thus improved his stock.

Oh well, I really hope he kicks butt at the combines and I hope he does go in the top 3 rounds.  It would be great for him and for MSU's image as an NFL factory.

Thanks for the memories, Edwin.

Now I just hope no more juniors leave, because it's really going to start affecting the talent level of the team.  Cornerback Johnny Adams is the next possible departure.  If he leaves, Tony Lippett would probably stay at cornerback, instead of moving permanently to receiver.  That would likely mean that the Spartans would be really interested in bringing in another receiver.  So I guess that's the bright side of this.  The Spartans likely will be able to take an additional 2 recruits, bringing the total 2012 recruiting class to about 19 or 20 players.  That would allow the Spartans to take a few more of those propects I listed in my last post.

No comments:

Post a Comment