Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Preview of Boise Game

We're here! At long last, the season is about to begin. First up: Boise State. This is the toughest opener MSU has faced since . . . since I can remember.

Folks, my nervousness meter is through the roof. Boise is a giant-slayer, Boise lives for these games. They haven't lost to a highly ranked opponent since . . . since I can remember.

Sure, they lost 6 players to the NFL draft, including two first rounders. And that doesn't include their record-setting quarterback, Kellen Moore, who was picked up by the Lions in free agency. But Boise produces NFL-level talent, every year -- excellent players like Titus Young. Look, MSU was able to succeed last year in large part because the class of 2010 made massive contributions. That's a bunch of redshirt freshmen helping the Spartans win 11 games. If MSU can do that, then Boise, which is a more established program at this point, can reload. So I don't expect much of a drop-off in talent.  Maybe a little.

Boise's coaches are what make me the most nervous. In most football games I watch there's usually a point where I notice coaches making mistakes -- even Dantonio (like when he called for the punt block against Wisconsin or when he went for the fake field goal against Notre Dame, when everyone was expecting it). Not that I watch a lot of Boise games, but I don't recall seeing them make big mistakes. On the contrary, I tend to be impressed by their cleverness. At the very least, Boise's coaching is competent (which is more than you can say for a lot of programs), at their best they can seem like geniuses.

MSU's talent should be superior (more stars and more experience) and MSU also has excellent coaching, so if Boise pulls this one out, I think it will be a strong indicator of how good Boise's program actually is. If Boise pulls this one out, then they have earned the right to be considered a top-5 program. They already get a lot of respect, but this one would convince me that they could probably beat any team in the country, especially in an opener or in a bowl game.

Anyway, I expect MSU's defense to keep Boise's scoring relatively low -- unless Petersen comes out with insane plays that totally befuddle the MSU defense.  And I expect MSU's offense to do OK -- unless Boise's schemes just confuse the heck out of Maxwell and the O-line. MSU's running game should do well while Maxwell and the passing game turn out to be surprisingly good.

Final score: MSU 23  Boise State 17

No comments:

Post a Comment